What do to if you find a pet.
If you find a lost animal in the City of Roanoke, the Counties of Roanoke or Botetourt, or the Town of Vinton, please contact the Regional Center at 540.344-4922, and ask that an Animal Control Officer come to pick the animal up.
You can also bring the animal to the Regional Center. The Regional Center will not turn away any animal from any of the municipalities it serves, and does not charge a fee for turning in an animal.
If the lost animal appears to be sick or injured you should call the Regional Center rather than handle the animal yourself. Sick and/or injured animals can become unpredictable from fear and pain, and should be handled only by professionals with proper equipment.
When you call the Regional Center, please be prepared to give a full description of the animal, if the animal is not in your possession. Include breed, color, and sex and the location where the animal has been found.
You could also contact the municipality where the animal was found.
Non-emergencies should be directed to the following phone numbers:
- Botetourt County 540.473.8631
- City of Roanoke 540.853.2411
- Roanoke County 540.562.3265
- Town of Vinton 540.983.0617
If you would like to help find the lost animal’s owner, you can also take the following steps:
- Post flyers with information about the animal and information on how to contact you or the Regional Center.
- Take the animal to a veterinary clinic to be scanned for a microchip.
- Put an ad in newspapers.
- List the animal in our online Found Pet List . Make sure you include a photo for the website.
- Regularly check our online Lost Pet List to see if a pet matching the description of the one you have found has been listed as missing.
- Post a found report in the Lost and Found section of Craigslist. Make sure you include a photo. There are multiple Facebook sites posting lost and found pets; perform a Facebook search for lost and found pets in your area.
- Call local veterinary clinics.
If you bring a lost animal to the Regional Center you will be asked to complete a “Stray Relinquishment Form”, and on this form you can indicate whether you are interested in adopting the animal in the event the owner does not reclaim the pet within the prescribed amount of time.
In Virginia, animals without identification will be held for a minimum of 5 days and animals with identification will be held a minimum of 10 days. If the owner does not reclaim the animal within the applicable time period, the animal will be evaluated for adoptability and, space permitting, transferred to the Roanoke Valley SPCA and put up for adoption. If the Roanoke Valley SPCA cannot accept the animal due to space limitations, the staff at the Regional Center and the Roanoke Valley SPCA will attempt to transfer the animal to another animal shelter, rescue group, or humane organization so that the animal can be put up for adoption. Please realize that while the Regional Center does its very best to find the lost animal's owners or a new adoptive family, we may not be able to find a new home for the pet, and there is a chance the animal will be humanely euthanized